Saturday, April 16, 2011

Warm-up for April 16, 2011

Instead of the usual sketching, I decided to do a watercolor painting today. I gave myself 90 minutes (I usually take 25), but because some hooligan put my iPod timer on "sleep" instead of "puppies barking" (okay, it was me), I have no idea how long this actually took. Could've been an hour and a half, could'be been two. I wasn't paying that much attention to the clock; just painting, and the cool, sultry sound of Biggie Smalls laying down some "phat beats", as the kids say.





Regardless, I kinda like it. It doesn't look like the source image, and there are glaring errors that scream out at me like the cries of a thousand restless dead, but if I squint hard enough, it looks okay.

I think my technique needs work. This was mostly done by laying down color, waiting for a short while, then picking up the water and pigment with a napkin. Worked well enough, I suppose, but it has its drawbacks. I just need to experiment more, I guess.


-- Cristian



PS -- Firefox recognized "phat" as a word. Surely this heralds the coming apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment