Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Warm-Ups for Apr. 13, 2011

I don't usually do this, but today I decided to do a couple of warm-up sketches before getting started on animation homework. I arbitrarily chose a male angel (I usually do females) and Iron Man. I must've had one funky dream I can't recall, because these two were on my mind almost since I woke up.

Anyway.

Because I tend to get distracted and focus too long on one image (which leads to overworking, and can be detrimental to the final product), I gave myself 25 minutes per sketch.


The angel turned out . . . I don't know. I like it, but it could be better. I think he could be further away, to really get a sense of those wings I didn't end up finishing. =/

(That's not a 5 o'clock shadow, by the way; his eyes and wings were supposed to glow, and I just ran out of time.)





I like this Iron Man sketch a lot better. There's more action, I think, and more anticipation. Chris Sanders says that even the quickest, looses sketch should "attend to story", and I think you can definitely tell IM is up against some pretty big foes.

Or maybe I like it because it was done largely without reference. A 5-minute Google Image search didn't result in any pics of his back, which was originally the focus of the image, so I just made up most of it as I went. (Ultimately, I had to go back to GIS for a better sense of his face, which didn't do the job to begin with.)






That's all for now, but these were fun, and I'll try to keep it up.


-- Cristian

No comments:

Post a Comment